Resources & Tools for Graphic Design, Web, Publishing, Social Media and Video
Books on Producing Business Videos
- Web Video: Making It Great, Getting It Noticed by Jennie Bourne and Dave Burstein, Excellent book on producing video, how to, tips, equipment. Personally recommend
- Get Seen: Online Video Secrets to Building Your Business by Steve Garfield and David Meerman Scott
- You Have Made Your Video-Now What? by Bruce Jones
Buying Video Gear
Social Media Web Sites that Are Great to Follow
www.SocialMediaExaminer.com, great site to learn and info
Resources to Help You Build Your Books
- The Book Designer Blog Great list of self publishing resource blogs
- Recommended reading for authors from Digital Publishing Cafe and D’vorah Lansky, an excellent list on producing, publishing and promoting your books, from one of the best voices on publishing and producing digital content.
- D’vorah Lansky’s Digital Publishing Cafe also has an excellent blog on publishing and resources and a good mailing list to be on, be sure to sign up.
- A great list of sites for promoting your Kindle books from TCK Publishing. Perfect for working with Kindle Select Promo campaigns, Twitter reviewers, Facebook reviewers, and more. TCK Publishing Resource list
- CreativIndieCovers.com, cool resource for learning more about designing your cover
- Your ISBN number is critical and required for all printed books. Everything is done through Bowker.com. The ISBN is used for tracking the sales of all books.
Fixed Format Kindle Comic or Children’s Books
- How to Make Kindle Comic & Children’s Book, by R. Scot Johns. Available in Kindle, ePub and PDF http://fantasycastlebooks.com/bookstore/how_to_make_kindle_comics.html
- Formatting of Children’s Books and Comics for Kindle, by Charles Spender, Available in Kindle, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A79U5NG
Photo Sharing Sites
Online Photo Editing
- Picnik Photo Editing
- FotoFlexer, has a limited layer ability
- Gimp (free PhotoShop type of program)
- A great place to look for graphic support is the site Canva. Canva has done the hard work for you. They have a lot of very well designed graphic templates for pretty much all social media platforms, also Kindle book covers and lots more. Free and pay, bring your own images or use theirs. Pick a design, customize and download. Couldn’t be simpler. https://www.canva.com/
Stock Photo Sites
- iStockphoto.com, original source of user-generated, royalty free images
- Shutterstock, Over 100 million images, several subscription options
- Crestock, usage fees start at $1
- Can Stock Photo.com over 15 million images, royalty free photos, illustrations and stock footage. Images start at $1.00
- Fotosearch Stock Photography, more than 20 million photos, illustrations, and videos, from over 120 stock image vendors from around the world, prices start at $3.00.
- Photocase, Germany stock house, lots of unique royalty free photos.
- Dreamstime, this is my current favorite stock site, nice images, very affordable
- Pond5.com, a lot of people use this site for stock video, sound effects, after effects and music. they also have lots of regular images also.
- The Illustrated Romance, stock romance images for book covers, men and woman. Excellent source for these hard to get images by Jenn LeBlanc. Also check out her romance books, she adds images to her stories to enhance the book, excellent idea, jennleblanc.com.
- VideoBlocks.com, stock video site, unlimited downloads for a fixed monthly fee.
Affordable Stock Photo Sites
- Bigstock, photographers and user-generated images
- Dreamstime, coming on strong with affordable images
- Blend Images, specializes in ethnic and cultural diversity
- PhotoDune, affordable stock images
Free Photo Sharing Sites
With any free photo site be sure to check the rights carefully. Read the fine print and check that you can actually do what you want with the image.
- Wikimedia Commons, over 17 million photos
- A big list of public domain and free photo sites http://shaebaxter.com/public-domain-images/
- One of the best resources on what is Public Domain, Public Domain Sherpa
- Creative Commons, does anyone understand how Creative Commons works CreativeCommons.org
- Copyright in the US, again have fun, Big chart of copyright info, how long
- Pixabay.com, free high quality images, photos, vectors, and art illustrations
Stock Video Sites
- ShutterStock Video, over 2.5 Million royalty free video clips
- Dissolve Stock Footage, over 600,000 video clips
Book and Product Shots
- Cover Action Pro, 150 templates for books, boxes, packaging, great for product shots
Print on Demand Publishing
Turn your e-Book into a Physical Book with Print on Demand Publishing
- Lulu.com, lots of options for sizes, and binding, relationship with Amazon
- Blurb.com, great for photo books
- Scribd, a PDF publishing site, kind of like YouTube for pdf files
- Createspace.com/Amazon. Free to use and allows you sell your books on Amazon
- Amazon’s Print on Demand site for books, DVD, CDs, Video download, I have 4 books on this service, it works great
- Books-A-Million D.I.Y with BAM! Publishing, write, publish, print and distribute in print or ebook
Print on Demand and eBook Publishing
- An excellent article on one person’s journey to producing an audio version of their book from Long Live the Internet.com how-to-make-an-audio-book-without-pulling-your-hair-out/
- The main player in this market, Audiobook Creation Exchange or ACX.com a division of Amazon.com
- Pat Flynn, Smart Passive Income Blog
Video Training / Video Marketing
- Will Video for Food, Kevin Nalty
- Video Maker
- Web Video University
- How to Sell Your Videos
- James Wedmore
- Video Traffic Academy
- Video Journalism Workshops with Bill Gentile
- The Video Boss with Andy Jenkins
Live Video Broadcasting
- flipitlive.com One-stop solution for a live WebCast, includes the broadcast window, chat area, production, hosting and interactive page creation and control
melbournevideoproduction.com Video production services for your business, Australia based.
- Storybird.com Story telling site, match your words up with their art and make, read and share visual stories. A global community of readers, writers, and artist of all ages.
- GetStoried.com, Learn to tell and write better stories from one of the best, Michael Margolis. Get Storied works with many companies and organizations to help them refine their message and tell better stories. Excellent free book you can download, Believe Me, Storytelling Manifesto
- SolidusEditorial.com, Need to write your story, or edit it, check out Solidus Editorial Solutions, they can help your copy spark, radiate, and glow. They provide content marketing solutions to businesses and organizations.
Posting once, send to multiple blogs, facebook etc, sites
Personal Broadcasting Channel
UStream.TV, personal broadcasting http://www.ustream.tv/
Google+/Google Hangout, broadcast to YouTube
Learn about Social Media
Email Marketing Management sites
PR Resource, Great PR tips
Follow Joan Stewart, great PR tips, every Tuesday http://www.publicityhound.com/
Print on Demand Products
Make a product around your subject
Video Distribution Sites
Making video about your subject
Web Based Video Capture
- Grab, Mac program, sitting in the Utility folder in the Applications folder, great, great program, use it everyday