Books are powerful tools for spreading your message. Why not make a book your business calling card, here are the 10 steps to making this happen. Create a book about the lessons you have learned in your career. Your book can be a great leave behind or an introduction to what you do and who your are. Simple to make, easy to produce. Here are the steps.
1. Write down the 10 best tips on your business, or your expertise or what you consult on. Keep these to one or two sentences each.
2. Write out one paragraph for each tip, just one paragraph.
3. For each tip expand that 1 paragraph to 3-4 paragraphs, flush out the concept.
4. Add an author bio along with a photo and contact info at the back of the book.
5. Add a resource list at the back of the book, an intro for the front, a table of contents and any additional info that might apply to your book. If you offer programs or consulting, drop that in also, give readers a call to action. We are talking 28-36 pages when done. This isn’t a manifesto.
6. Format your book in MS Word or some similar word processing application such as Google Doc, Pages, or Scrivner. If you are going to print, create a document that is the page size of your book in a page layout program. 51/2 x 81/2 is a great size and is easy to get printed at a quickie print shop for those first copies.
7. Create a separate file for the cover, for Kindle, front cover only and save it as a jpg. For a printed book, set up a full cover spread, back, spine and front, save as a high-res pdf. Both Kindle and CreateSpace/Amazon have online tools you can use to make a cover.
8. If sending your book to Kindle then save it as an html file for the web. If you are going to print, export or save as a pdf file.
9. Upload your book files to Kindle, or CreateSpace.com, CreateSpace is the print-on-demand, self-publishing side of Amazon.com, or take the two pdf files to a local quick print shop. On-line, add descriptions, author bio, categories and keywords.
10. Market your book though the popular social media channels; FaceBook, Linkedin, Twitter, Pinterest, your website, YouTube; these lessons make great videos. Always carry several with you to give away, people love getting a book, they don’t throw them away.
Check out the podcast